Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum
in collaboration with
Renzo Piano Building Workshop
Dick Roche, Garden Contractor
Burt Hill / Stantec Paratus Group
ValleyCrest Landscape Companies
The Gardner Museum and L+A have a decade-long collaborative association. Most recently, the Museum has asked us to complete the design of gardens for the Museum expansion in collaboration with Renzo Piano Building Workshop.
THE PALACE LINK ALLEE
An allee of Pinus bungeana and Carpinus caroliana envelope the glass-enclosed linear space that links the Palace with the new expansion. The sinewy, taut, gray bark of the Carpinus contrasts elegantly with the exfoliating dusty green, light gray, and russet red bark of the Pinus. The canopy of trees shading the link modulates the light in this transitional space between the transparent, light-filled expansion and the shadowy, enclosed Palace spaces.
THE GARDEN OF 99 TREES
The Lynch Courtyard Garden is a temporary garden of liner stock trees, Ulmus parvifolia, planted on a three feet square grid. The density of trees in the garden establishes a scrim of leaves and a forest of trunks inside the new Museum entrance. The Lynch Courtyard Garden will be the site of ongoing garden installations – a Garden of Perpetual Cultivation. The Garden of 99 Trees is the inaugural installation in this new exhibition space at the Museum.
YELLOW ROOM AND BLUE ROOM
The Museum is entered currently between the Yellow Room and the Blue Room. The Garden of 99 Trees is underplanted with blue Scilla siberica and yellow-flowering Hamamelis virginiana which re-establish the chromatic framing of the former entrance at the new lobby.
A FAMILY TREE OF MAGNOLIAS
A collection of magnolias drift through the cafe garden and living room garden. The collection includes one Magnolia denudata and one Magnolia liliiflora. These two species were bred by Etienne Soulange-Bodin outside Paris in 1820 and are the parents of the hybrid, Magnolia x soulangiana, of which there are three in the gardens.